Thursday, July 10, 2008

A man named Smelley

At first I thought this had to be a joke. A guy with a last name "Smelley", no way. But there he is and not just any guy. This is the starting QB for the South Carolina Gamecocks coached by Steve Spurrier. Now I don't just want to jump on this kid because of his name but I mean how did this come to pass? Most surnames have some sort of ...relevance. The name "Smelley" does not compute but I guess there's a lot I don't know about in this world.

My next question is, why has this guy's family not done something about the problem? If my name was Smelley I would take whatever time I needed, acquired whatever resources I needed and FIXED this problem. A name change, taxes, the whole deal. I mean, that is just to much.

The first I heard about Spurrier was when he was USFL head coach of the Tampa Bay Bandits in the early 80's. I couldn't find a photo of Spurrier getting sacked but here's one from his days with Tampa Bay playing the Raiders.

No comments: